Why ecological forecasting?
- Why do we need ecological forecasting?
- What are two some of things we need to be able to make forecasts?
- What is the distinction between forecasting, prediction, projection &
- Of these types what is common in ecological forecasting and why?
State of ecological forecasting
- Does ecological research tend ot focus more on forecasting/prediction or on
understanding ecological processes?
- When ecologists do forecast is it research or application focused?
- What are the two general types of models that can be used for forecasting?
- What are the different ways in which time and can incorporated into these models?
- What are the different ways in which model parameters are determined?
- What are the two main types of forecasts being developed and what properties to they have?
- What is the distinction between point estimates and uncertainty?
- Do most ecological forecasts include uncertainty estimates?
- Why does estimating uncertainty matter?