- How (generally) do species distribution models work?
- What is the distinction between environmental & geographic space?
What is the distinction between using SDMs for explanation vs. interpolation vs. extrapolation
- How do we select predictors for SDMs (or other ecological models)?
What should we do if we don’t have measurements of our preferred variables?
- What are some of the major categories of modeling approaches for SDMs and what
are their characteristics?
- How do differences in these approaches relate to their use of explanation vs. prediction?
How are presence only data dealt with when building models?
- Why do you think SDMs are so popular in attempts to forecast ecological change?
- What are the challenges for making SDM based forecasts?
How might we determine how well these forecasts perform?
- Should SDMs model the influence of other species and do they currently do this?
What about other key biological processes like density dependence and dispersal?
How is uncertainty addressed in SDMs and are there areas for improvement?
- What should be the next big steps in species distribution modeling?